Watercolor has been one of the most favorite media of all time. There are wonderful watercolor fun facts for kids and beginners alike. Watercolor is an easy medium for kids beginners and even experience in painting. We’ve compiled the most amazing watercolor fun facts that you need to know before starting your next painting session.
Can you mix different watercolors from different manufacturers? Is watercolor safe for kids? Does watercolor change their shades or tints when they are dried out? Can you mix watercolor with other painting media? What’s the best painting surface for watercolors?
- 1 Watercolor Fun Facts For Kids And Beginners
- 2 Toxic Level For Watercolor: Kid-Safe Painting
- 3 Mix Media With Watercolor Painting
- 4 The Best Painting Surface For Watercolor Painting
Watercolor Fun Facts For Kids And Beginners
Watercolors have been in our lifestyle ever since painting with different colors was used. In caves and walls from our ancestors. Watercolor is always a favorite medium for all ages. There are wonderful watercolor fun facts for kids and beginners that you need to know. Once you knew this wonderful watercolor fun facts you will surely fall in love with the painting medium.
You may not notice but watercolor was the first painting medium that you ever use. It’s the most choice of teachers for the school’s arts and crafts because it is easy and convenient. We have compiled the most amazing watercolor fun facts and hope that you’ll enjoy reading this article. So let’s begin;
- Watercolors are water soluble. It is made up of pigments and a water-soluble binder. usually, this binder is made up of gum arabic.
- Watercolors tend to be transparent when applied to your painting surface. that means it allows the light to pass through your painting canvas or painting paper.
- Watercolors, when dried out, tends to become 50% lighter to the original colors when applied. That is why if you if your painting has a change of color and becomes lighter that is normal.
- You can purchase two types of watercolor in the market. Student-grade and artist-grade. both differs honda what on the watercolors consistency and price as well.
- Watercolors are completely safe and toxic free. However, extra precaution can be applied just to be on the safe side.
- Watercolors can also be opaque colors. That totally depends on the artists’ preferences.
- You can purchase watercolor that comes in tubes or in pans. Watercolors in tubes are easy to use as you can directly apply them to your painting surface. You can also dilute tube watercolors with water to achieve your desired color or tint. On the other hand, watercolors in pans usually come with palette in them. Watercolors in pans are more expensive than tube watercolors. The most commonly used watercolors by artists are the ones in tubes.
- Manufacturers of watercolor do not have the same exact colors produced. That is why if you like one certain color from a certain brand, you will not have the exact color on the other brand manufacturer.
- Watercolor stains mean that those are the colors that you cannot remove easily to your painting surface.
- Watercolor is as old as oil paints. Watercolor painting was used in caves for decoration during the prehistoric era.
- There is a specific watercolor paper requirement to use that goes with watercolors.
- If you want to lighten the colors of watercolor, then just add water in them.
- Gouache is basically the white opaque watercolor. Gouache can be mixed with other painting media and is considered another type of painting medium.
- Some watercolors that are fugitive will fade very quickly.
- Watercolors can be mixed with other painting media like pastels and even acrylic paints.
Mixing Watercolor Paints From Different Painting Manufacturers
One of the most wonderful watercolor fun facts is you can mix them with other brands of paint manufacturers. Though you cannot get the same colors from another paint manufacturer. Mixing them is never a problem. There will always be a slight difference in colors with the same name from different paint manufacturers. So it is best to always check for the best brand that will suit your style.
If you want to find the best color for each brand better to purchase one at least one color for each manufacturer. That way you can personalize the difference for each watercolor. Find the best brand of watercolor that will reach your standard.
There are two types of watercolor paint to choose from. You can start with an artist-grade or a student-grade type watercolor paints. Student-grade and artist-grade vary from the color range and quality of paints. Student-grade watercolor types are less expensive than professional or artist-grade type. You can start off using student grade first and just level up your paints once you are more experience with the painting medium.
Another watercolor fun facts that you will learn is the watercolor packaging. You can choose between watercolor tubes or pans. Most watercolor artists use watercolor tubes as they are easy and handy. Watercolor tubes are also less expensive than watercolor pans. You can dilute watercolor tubes in water if you want to achieve your desired tint. You can also apply watercolor tubes directly to your painting surface. With watercolor, the limitations of mixing colors depend on the artist reference.
Toxic Level For Watercolor: Kid-Safe Painting
Since watercolor is basically water soluble, it is then considered toxic-free and kid safe. Most teachers use watercolor for their arts and crafts lessons. It is easy to clean and toxic free for the kids. There are different paint types you can purchase on the store right now that are ideal for kids learning. There are even edible keys in store right now that are used by bakers for their cakes and pastries.
Motor colors also come in different shades and shapes for artist convenience. Aside from tubes and pans, there are also available watercolor pens and store right now. As the innovation of technology advances so does painting medium as well. And it’s even better as with the level toxicity decreases for every painting manufacturers.
Changes In Shades And Tint For Watercolor When Dried Out
Another great watercolor fun facts that you must learn is how watercolor reacts when they are dried. Usually, it takes around 50% of the watercolors to be lightened when they are dried out. So don’t be surprised once there are changes on the applied colors on your painting surface with the watercolor medium.
Once you are more experience with watercolor then you can easily manipulate this characteristic. Learning and understanding watercolors can help you achieve the right tone for your painting. That, of course, will help yourself to be exposed to the painting medium. Practice and experiment are the keys to a successful watercolor painting session.
Mix Media With Watercolor Painting
You can mix watercolor with other painting media. One of the many watercolor fun facts is about mix media. You can mix watercolor with acrylics or even pastels. Just like watercolors, pastels are also water-soluble which is a great tandem. Since pastels can be diluted in water to be added to watercolors, you can produce wonderful colors.
That way you can experiment on how you want your watercolors to react with other painting media. Proper understanding of each painting media will help you achieve a new technique for painting.
The Best Painting Surface For Watercolor Painting
The best painting surface for watercolor painting is a heavyweight watercolor paper. One of the few watercolor fun facts for kids beginners is about the watercolor paper. Traditionally, the artist uses heavy watercolor paper. There are three types of watercolor paper to choose from. You can choose from a hard-pressed watercolor paper, cold pressed or the rough one.
The reason why you need to choose the required watercolor paper is that it can stand with the water present in the paint. The heavier the watercolor paper is the less it with buckled during your painting session. it is best to secure your watercolor paper with the drawing board just to be on the safe side.
To know more of the other essential tools for watercolor painting you can check out this link. thank you for your passing by on reading this article and hope that would help you one way or another.