Knowing the different elements of a painting is like knowing the backbone of a certain structure. Like knowing the hidden details in a blueprint to a building, these elements are essential to further understand the composition of each painting techniques and style. With these elements of painting, an artist will have a comprehensive understanding of the arts properly in an easy way.
What are all the essential elements of painting and how these elements affect artists from different painting media? Which elements of a painting is considered the fundamental structure of arts? Are all these elements of painting known to the artist?
The Essential Elements Of PaintingAnd Their Important Role To an Artist LIfe
If you are wondering what is the importance of knowing all the elements of painting, then to simplify the answer is, the elements of painting serves as the basic and common interaction of arts to our lives. It is the fundamental component of knowing how one artist communicates to another and how to formally describe the art that was created or the work in progress of arts. Though you cannot find all the elements under one painting surface, however, there may be at least two to three elements together.
These elements are essential to an artist life as they built the world of art and the best way to further give the right words for every artwork that is made. Creating the best possible artwork and trademark or masterpiece of an artist is by working with the elements of painting. Every texture of the painting, the colors that were used to create it, the value, tone, lines and shapes and the movement when this certain painting was created can somehow be visible and can greatly contribute to the overall appearance and impact of art in our lives.
The Fundamental Elements Of Painting
To sum up all the essential and fundamental elements of painting, then there should be at least 10 of them. Let us break down each element and find which one or two are always present in your artwork.
- Color – This is the most important elements in working with arts. The foundation of all paintings and how one work of art affects the artist and the spectator depends on the colors that are present in the painting. One artist can determine the right feeling towards art by simply looking at the colors that were used to create the art piece.
You can describe the painting based on the colors the artist used with it, it can either be cold or warm base on these colors. It is indeed the element that represents the heart of every masterpiece you’ll ever see. Traditionally, the artist works with the color theory to determine and have a comprehensive guide for each color that they used. You can determine the colors, intensity by its color, the value and hue are also other factors on how you can easily determine the color’s tint or lightfastness.
- Line – Most of the times, lines are incorporated with drawings and sketching. Though there are lines with every painting as well. You may not notice small lines created by your brush for they are sometimes not that visible to the naked eye. There are also some lines that you can easily see with every certain painting technique. Though you may not be aware of the other indirect lines created in paintings, there really are different types of lines you will learn along the way. LInes that are created from your paintbrush are some of the elements present in your artwork. Just like colors, these lines are essential in creating a dynamic painting.
- Tone – Just like colors and lines, tones are essential to the painting that you are creating. It can be found from the shadows on the artwork that you did or the highlights of the main subject of your painting. The tone vary depends on the style that the painter wants to have on their artwork. This can range from how light or dark the painting can get.
- Shapes/Form – Though it can be tricky if you are not so familiar as to how will you categorize this one. To simplify, the shapes that are present on a painting can be classified as organic if you can find this shape inclined with nature. On the other hand, there are also some geometric shapes that can be found in some paintings, these are mostly considered as the basic shapes that you can see all around or as you study them. Most artists create shapes with their artworks, be that organically or not. There will always be s shape present in each painting.
- Texture – There are different ways on how you can explain texture when it comes to painting. Though some create the depth of each painting with the brushstrokes present in each artwork. This element can sometimes be a great challenge for an artist especially if you are working with certain texture present with nature to replicate it personally. That is why you will need to use other elements to showcase the texture on the painting.
- Volume or Space – The element of art that can sometimes be crucial to the overall appearance of the painting. These depend on the part of the painting that affects the subject and the surroundings of your main subject.
- Size – This element of art is one of the things that an artist always took into consideration when creating a certain artwork. There are some details that need to be in proportion to reality, especially if you are working with portraits or still life paintings. Regardless of anything, the size matters as where the painting will be placed.
- Direction or Paintings Perception – The way a painting will be placed will affect its overall appearance. That goes with the amount of light that will hit the painting to corresponds to the details present on each artwork. The light place an important part of how spectators can realize the paintings complete details and how the artist wants to direct them to that certain experience and feeling while looking at the artwork.
- Composition – The element that creates a sense of uniformity or balance to the overall appearance of paintings. It is necessary to take note of how the composition of the painting will affect the viewers or artist point of view.
- Movement/ Time – Of all the rest of the elements of arts and painting, this is the most crucial part after all. The time that a spectator will spend looking at your artwork will define the ways on how their eyes will focus on every detail that you wish to manipulate with them. With a complete curiosity of movements to your painting, you are taking their time by allowing them to further explore your artwork as well.
With all of these essential elements of arts and paintings present to you, which do you think affects you the most as an artist? Have you learned these elements before so you can be taken into consideration the next time you create artwork? Surely knowing these fundamental elements will help you improve as an artist. So the next painting session, try to include more elements and let that next painting take you and your viewers to a new world of colors, shapes, lines, tones, composition, texture, direction and many more.
Have a wonderful time creating arts!